Heart Health of the South Shore
David J. Hersh, MD, FACC
Cardiologist located in Bellmore, NY
Cardiovascular disease is a leading cause of death among both men and women. At Heart Health of the South Shore, Dr. David Hersh offers comprehensive preventative cardiology services to identify cardiovascular risk factors and help patients in Bellmore, NY, Merrick, NY, and the surrounding communities reduce their risks for heart disease.
A Healthy Heart (Preventative Cardiology) Q&A
What is preventive cardiology?
Preventive cardiology is focused on medical screenings, tests, and exams that help identify risk factors for heart disease, as well as medical and lifestyle guidance aimed at helping people reduce their risks for heart disease or improve the health of people who have been diagnosed with heart disease. In short, it includes all the treatments and guidance necessary to help patients improve their cardiovascular heart and reduce the risks of cardiovascular disease.
What tests and exams are included in preventive cardiology?
To some degree, the tests and screening exams will be based on a person’s known risk factors, including their age, their personal and family medical history, and other risk factors like smoking and obesity. Health screenings and evaluations can include:
- blood pressure measurements
- blood tests to evaluate cholesterol, triglyceride, and glucose (blood sugar) levels
- EKGs to assess the heart’s electrical activity
- echocardiograms (ultrasounds of the heart) to assess the function of the heart as well as the heart structure
- cardiac stress testing to assess how well the heart performs during strenuous physical activity
- a review of lifestyle factors like stress levels, physical activity levels, alcohol and tobacco use, and nutrition
Based on the results of the health screenings and evaluations, each patient will learn about their individual risk factors for heart disease and what they can do to reduce those risks and help prevent serious issues from developing.
What are the risk factors for heart disease and heart attack?
Several risk factors have been linked with cardiovascular disease, including:
- being obese or overweight
- high cholesterol
- high blood pressure (hypertension)
- being physically inactive or leading a sedentary lifestyle
- poor nutrition, including eating a diet high in unhealthy fats and sodium
- family history of heart disease
- other diseases or genetic disorders like Marfan’s syndrome or rheumatic fever
Some risk factors like a family history of heart disease cannot be modified, but other risk factors like obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and smoking can be avoided or reduced with lifestyle changes or medication (or both). Preventive cardiology helps patients identify their risk factors and treat them so they can lower their risks of heart disease.
Dr. Hersh accepts most major insurance. If you have any questions about your eligibility or coverage, please call our office. We are happy to help you.
Words from our patients
"I have never been treated nicer and its refreshing to finally find a physician in the Massapequa area who can care for us. Very satisfied!"
"I have moved my whole family over to Dr. Hersh. He is professional, thorough and the office is just wonderful!"